Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Final PUUUUUSH!!! for "THE SINGER- SEWING GOOD SEED"!

Ok...so it's been a while since i did a show of all my own original art....i have been really working hard to push my art of late....and i have to say it's like having a baby (as far as i know) ....but less painful!
there is a long gestation period and soetimes it takes months for the process to be complete.....and then the contractions begin! breathe! whew.whew....whew! here it comes! PUSH!!!!!


it all started  months ago....witha bunch of wood i found at the flea market!
remembr?


laying out the idea. on my gravel driveway in October.... i had no idea what was to come!!!!!!



so my house turned into my studio......


and i found some old vintage wallpaper at my goodwill store....
and some frames out in Nollansville Tn....
and started playing with an idea....


and then she came! 
"THE SINGER"
(and YES....you can take that both ways!)


and she ;ead me to rethink everything.....
which led to 
"SEWING GOOD SEED"


then i had the idea to start using the titles of..... old hymns and spirituals 
for the majority of the  text in the pieces
"A CHILD OF THINE"

and somehow ....the hymn titles....started taking me on
a journey....to look into how we "repeat our patterns"
"I AM A PILGRIM"


and how easily ....we repeat! ...the patterns .....
lest we forget....

after finding some used box shelves at goodwill....i tried to make light boxes.....


and the old singer sewing machine that my church gave me....
was a real inspiration as well.....



so i started sewing on the light boxes
and stitching into the vellum....before i attatched it to the box!


"She Wanted To Stop Repeating Her Patterns"



"Own Your Own Patterns"


and i experimented with some free stitching.....
....by drawing with the needle!
"Hand Me Down My Silver Trumpet , Lord"


and using text on transparent sticker paper!...to illuminate the words better!


then i used photo's that i loved!....by michael wilson (my favorite photographer)
He said i could use this photo he  took of my dear neighbor .....Mr. Mathew Sherrill
and the text comes from a song he sang on my indi CD "Many Waters"-
"Don't Put Off Today For Tommorrow"

"I Will Be My Brother's Keeper"

and some are more successful than others!
and it's been quite a long LABOR!



but it ain't over till the fat lady SAAAAAANGS!
(meaning me)
no what i'm sprayin?

SO The opening is 
This Saturday Feb 5th @ Downtown Presbyterian Church
from 6-9 ....and is a part of the "Feb Art Crawl"
...when all the downtown Nashville  art galleries 
have their individual openings the first saturday of each month!

and i have 3 -5 more pieces to finish in the next couple days!
PUUUUUUUUSH!!!!!
BREATHE!!!!!!


so there ya have it friends.....this has been a wild 
"pregnancy"...if you will.....
and i am so excited for you to see my babies!

if you are out of town saturday the show will stay up through the month of February
and can be seen during the week (within church hours)
all pieces are for sale and my next blog will be 
a post of all the remaining pieces with their prices...
so if you are interested in anything you've seen
come on down  this SATURDAY!

















Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. SOOO excited for you Julie. We wish we could be there to be blessed by your art. Thinking about you in these final stages of labor!

    ReplyDelete